Job Title: Katie A Behavioral Health Wellness Counselor
Department: Behavioral Health, Family and Children Program
Location: Moorpark Avenue and Story Road, San Jose
Job Type: FT non/Exempt
Reports to: Katie A Program Manager.
The Wellness Counselor is responsible for supporting the activities primarily in the Family & Children’s Program, concentrating mostly on the Katie A clientele, to build partnerships for positive and healthy youth development, which engage youth as active leaders and connects to resources in their communities.
The Wellness counselor works within a team and will primarily focus on the wellbeing and wellness of the clients and team. In addition they will provide an array of medically necessary interventions for the remediation of behaviors or improvement of symptoms, including psychotherapy, case management, crisis intervention, and linkage to psychiatry or other healthcare needs.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide direct behavioral health rehabilitation services including individual/group/family counseling, culturally relevant assessment, and evaluation and case management
- Work closely with the child and/or family to develop functional skills to improve self-care, emotional regulation, or other functional impairments
- Support the child and family to fully participate in the CFT (Client Family Team meetings), and provide education to the child and family on positive methods to manage the child’s mental health disorder or symptoms
- Provide outreach, presentations, support groups, technical assistance and resources focused on youth and communities involved in the System.
- Provide effective linkages with referral sources, community resources. Support the development, use, and maintenance of support networks for the child and family, Perform case management services such as providing and facilitating referrals to appropriate agencies
- Develop service/coordination and treatment plans
- Document and maintain clinical records per appropriate standards and regulations
- 65% of the counselor’s time will be spent providing direct billable services
- Provide services in clinic, home, and field settings, often independently
- Coordinate services with Juvenile Probation Department, Santa Clara County Department of Family and Children Services, Family Advocates, Social Security Agency, private insurance companies, Victim Protection and other involved agencies
- Plan and implement a structured experience to enhance client’s self-awareness and self-expression.
- Encourage independent creative expression through the use of creative arts, music or related media.
- Master degree in psychology or related field
- Licensed with the BBS or working toward licensure (ASW, AMFT or APCC)
- Minimum 3-4 years’ experience of directly related experience
- Experience with youth outreach and engagement
- Knowledge of Juvenile Probation Department , Santa Clara County Department of Family and Children Services, Family Advocates, Social Security Agency, private insurance companies, Victim Witness and other involved agencies
- Ability to learn and apply clinical skills within the various Asian/Pacific Islander and Latino cultures of the local community
- Understanding of cultural issues, community resources and family dynamics
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships
- English Language proficiency
- Fluent in Spanish or Vietnamese highly desired
- Ability to possess and maintain a valid CA Driver’s License, must have suitable vehicle for agency travel and current automobile insurance.
- Experience in Art Therapy or in a related role is desirable
This job requires you to be in the community, in client’s homes, schools, social justice offices and other community partner sites. Driving is essential to the function of this job.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is required to sit for long periods of time; see to utilize a computer screen; frequently use hands; and reach with hands and arms for activities such as keyboarding.