Registered Nurse (Bilingual Mandarin)
Position: Registered Nurse (Bilingual Mandarin)
Department: Health Center
Reports to: Health Center Clinic Manager
Job Location: Moorpark Avenue and Story Road, San Jose
Work Hours: Full Time
Asian Americans for Community Involvement (AACI) which was founded in 1973 has an amazing opportunity for the above position in the non-profit sector. AACI’s mission is to improve the health, mental health, and well-being of individuals, families and the Asian community. We do this by providing an array of high quality health and human services, sharing expertise about the Asian community’s needs and best services delivery practices, and providing Asian leadership in advocating on key health and human services issues. AACI has over 170 employees and an annual budget of over $16M.
The Registered Nurse is responsible for assisting Health Center clinicians with patient care, and helping to supervise ancillary staff. The nurse will also conduct health education, provide nursing services and promote the well-being of patients and clients. Duties include but not limited to: triaging incoming calls and walk-in patients; providing nursing advice to callers; providing care management to patients with complex conditions; setting up and arranging for health screenings; maintaining client assessment and progress notes; and assisting with quality improvement efforts. This position reports to the Health Center Clinic Manager.
- Provides nursing services for AACI Health Center and provide nursing advice to patients.
- Triages patients for care and coordinates patient flow. Follows policies and procedures for managing patient flow, ensuring that productivity standards are met, and maintaining high quality services.
- Provides care management to patients with complex conditions. Develops care plans with patients and monitors progress and provides assistance in helping patient meet their goals. Meets with patients in the health center or community to facilitate access to care.
- Works with provides to facilitate prescription refills and clarification. Calls in prescription as necessary. Inputs and submits medical prescription information in the electronic prescription program (e-prescription) to pharmacies.
- Reviews lab results, images, and other test results and works with providers to address abnormal results.
- Provides direct patient care as required by need and scope of practice.
- Facilitates and directs necessary patient care planning, including medical orders, administration of medications, and the performance of treatments, tests and functions per clinical orders and within scope of practice.
- Assists the Medical Department back office when necessary and performs as a Medical Assistant (including sets up examining rooms; prepares patients to be seen by the medical provider; takes vital signs, medical history and chief complaint; performs immunizations and vaccinations; performs on-site labs; follows all safety procedures; assists providers during scope exams or procedures; sterilizes instruments; keeps instruments and exam rooms clean and orderly; administers and assists patients in filling out surveys and questionnaires; assists in other support services necessary for the orderly flow of patients including pulling and filing charts, etc.; assists with tracking and rescheduling of patients as needed; inputs and updates patient data into medical data software systems; assists providers in making and tracking referrals.)
- Coordinates referrals to specialty care providers.
- Attends monthly staff, QI, providers, and other meetings as required.
- Follows all agency HIPAA rules and regulations, and maintains strict conduct regarding patient confidentiality.
- Models and facilitates a team-based approach to patient service delivery.
- Helps coordinate patient flow as needed.
- Helps supervise Medical Assistants and other ancillary staff.
- Acts as a strong patient advocate.
- Participates in quality assurance programs encompassing the nursing services under his/her responsibility in ways that assure compliance with internal policies, standards, procedures, protocols and with all regulatory requirements.
- Helps monitor infection control practices and employee safety practices as needed.
- Helps to develop and improve appropriate standards, policies, procedures and protocols for the nursing services of the clinic.
- Helps monitor adherence to policies and procedures, and all governing regulatory requirements as it relates to nursing services in the day-to-day clinic operations.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Health Center Clinic Manager.
- RN license from State of California required
- A minimum of two years nursing experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Bilingual/biliterate in Mandarin required
- Demonstrated ability to be a respectful, engaged, and supportive team member so that AACI can provide high quality care to patients
- Strong knowledge of cultural and familial dynamics as they pertain to AACI patients and clients
- Working knowledge of health promotion techniques and health issues
- Proof of auto insurance and valid driver’s license because travel in the community to meet with patients will be required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently bends, lifts and/or moves up to 10 pounds with relative ease. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
AACI is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, religion (includes religious dress and grooming), marital status, domestic partnership status, family care leave status, medical condition as defined under California law, mental or physical disability (including persons infected with the HIV virus or persons with AIDS), genetic information, immigration status, military service or veteran’s status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions (including lactation), or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.