Patient Navigator (Bilingual Mandarin)
July 31, 2018
Position: Patient Navigator
Department: Integrated Front Desk
Reports to: Integrated Front Desk Manager
Job Location: Moorpark Avenue & Story Road, San Jose
Work Hours: Full-Time (32 hours per week), Non-Exempt
Asian Americans for Community Involvement (AACI) which was founded in 1973 has an amazing opportunity for the above position in the non-profit sector. AACI’s mission is to improve the health, mental health, and well-being of individuals, families and the Asian community. We do this by providing an array of high quality health and human services, sharing expertise about the Asian community’s needs and best services delivery practices, and providing Asian leadership in advocating on key health and human services issues. AACI has over 170 employees and an annual budget of over $16M.
Patient Navigators (PN) are culturally competent non-clinical healthcare workers who support and guide patients throughout their care continuum. PNs support patients to anticipate, address, and overcome barriers to care, while guiding patients through the delivery systems that provide their care. PNs work closely with the rest of the Health Center team to ensure high patient satisfaction. This is a full time position working 32 hours per week.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing translation and interpretation during medical visits and while making referrals.
- Enrolling patients into eligible insurance programs; helping patients problem-solve insurance and billing issues; etc.
- Conducting outreach for new patients; contacting newly assigned patients to engage them in care; etc.
- Providing resources on financial support, transportation, child/elder care, housing, or other services that patients may need; also assisting patients in accessing resources and services as necessary.
- Coordinating referral appointments with specialty care providers to assure timely diagnostic and treatment care; establishing and improving communication with patients, families, and referral providers using warm handoffs and non-technical explanations; etc.
- Conducting and assisting with surveying patients and assessing their needs.
- Signing up patients for the Health Center patient portal.
- Providing back-up coverage for Front Office duties i.e. reception and Call Center.
- Working as a member of the Health Center team to provide high quality patient care.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
As a non-clinical health worker, a PN does NOT:
- Provide physical assessments, diagnoses, or treatments.
- Order care, treatments, or medications.
- Provide any direct patient care (i.e., changing dressings, taking vital signs, lifting patients, etc.).
- Provide physical, occupational, or speech therapy.
- Provide recommendations or opinions about health care providers or health care treatment.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required; AA or technical/vocational school diploma preferred.
- Patient Navigator Certificate preferred.
- Fluent in English and Mandarin required. Fluency in Cantonese desirable.
- Familiar with working in a multicultural environment; ability to work with diverse patient populations and staff in a professional and mature way.
- Familiar with services provided in a medical clinic environment.
- Aware of the needs of patients with serious health problems and limited resources.
- Committed to providing high quality customer service.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
To apply for this job, please use this link: https://aaci.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=231
AACI is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, religion (includes religious dress and grooming), marital status, domestic partnership status, family care leave status, medical condition as defined under California law, mental or physical disability (including persons infected with the HIV virus or persons with AIDS), genetic information, immigration status, military service or veteran’s status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions (including lactation), or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.