Position: Medical Assistant
Department: Health Center
Reports to: Integrated Clinic Manager
Job Location: Moorpark Avenue, San Jose
Work Hours: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Founded in 1973, AACI is one of the largest community-based organizations advocating for and serving the marginalized and vulnerable ethnic communities in Santa Clara County. Our many programs address the health and well-being of the individual and advances our belief in providing care that goes beyond just health, but also provides people a sense of hope and new possibilities. Current programs include behavioral and primary health services, substance abuse prevention and treatment, center for survivors of torture, shelter and services for domestic violence and human trafficking survivors, senior center, youth programs, and community advocacy.
The medical assistant (MA) assists the physician and nurses in all aspects of medical practice delivery in AACI Health Clinic as appropriate for the defined role. Reports to Clinic Nurse Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs patient care duties within the scope of medical assistant training. Duties include but are not limited to obtaining patient history, performing ECG and other tests, collection of specimen, veni- puncture, injections, vital signs, charting, use and control of supplies and applying sterile techniques.
- Prepares patients for examination and assists in providing care to age specific patient population.
- Performs general office duties including but not limited to answering telephones, scheduling appointments, preparing all forms and processing medication refill requests as ordered by the medical provider.
- Assists in maintaining medical records, immunization and other health registries.
- Safeguards and respects the patient’s rights and confidentiality.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform and respond appropriately in emergency situations.
- Develops and maintains effective and courteous communication with patients, families and other professionals to ensure on-going provision of patient care.
- Demonstrates effective problem solving skills and uses proper communication channels until the problem is solved.
- Demonstrates working knowledge and following OSHA and HIPAA guidelines.
- Attends ongoing trainings, quality improvement programs, and health outreach activities.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Certificate of completion of Medical Assisting Program (Front and Back Office procedures) including the completion of instructions in injections, skin tests and withdrawal of blood.
- 1-4 years of experience in health center setting is ideal.
- National Certification from National Center for Computing Testing (Highly Preferred).
- Good verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- Current Health Certificate (Proof of MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis B immunization status or proof of titer status; annual T.B. testing).
- Computer skills including proficiency in medical practice management systems and Microsoft word
AACI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.