December 6, 2018
Position: Medical Assistant
Department: Health Center
Reports to: Integrated Clinic Manager
Job Location: Moorpark Avenue, San Jose
Work Hours: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Asian Americans for Community Involvement (AACI) which was founded in 1973 has an amazing opportunity for the above position in the non-profit sector. AACI’s mission is to improve the health, mental health, and well-being of individuals, families and the Asian community. We do this by providing an array of high quality health and human services, sharing expertise about the Asian community’s needs and best services delivery practices, and providing Asian leadership in advocating on key health and human services issues. AACI has over 170 employees and an annual budget of over $16M.
The medical assistant (MA) assists the physician and nurses in all aspects of medical practice delivery in AACI Health Clinic as appropriate for the defined role. Reports to Clinic Nurse Manager. This is a bilingual position requires proficiency in the English and Mandarin Chinese, Vietnamese or Spanish language.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs patient care duties within the scope of medical assistant training. Duties include but are not limited to obtaining patient history, performing ECG and other tests, collection of specimen, veni- puncture, injections, vital signs, charting, use and control of supplies and applying sterile techniques.
- Prepares patients for examination and assists in providing care to age specific patient population.
- Performs general office duties including but not limited to answering telephones, scheduling appointments, preparing all forms and processing medication refill requests as ordered by the medical provider.
- Assists in maintaining medical records, immunization and other health registries.
- Safeguards and respects the patient’s rights and confidentiality.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform and respond appropriately in emergency situations.
- Develops and maintains effective and courteous communication with patients, families and other professionals to ensure on-going provision of patient care.
- Demonstrates effective problem solving skills and uses proper communication channels until the problem is solved.
- Demonstrates working knowledge and following OSHA and HIPPA guidelines.
- Attends ongoing trainings, quality improvement programs, and health outreach activities.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Certificate of completion of Medical Assisting Program (Front and Back Office procedures) including the completion of instructions in injections, skin tests and withdrawal of blood.
- 1-4 years of experience in health center setting is ideal.
- National Certification from National Center for Computing Testing (Optional).
- Good verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in the English and Mandarin Chinese, Vietnamese or Spanish required.
- Current Health Certificate (Proof of MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis B immunization status or proof of titer status; annual T.B. testing).
- Knowledge of cultural and familial dynamics as they pertain to Asian Americans
- Computer skills including proficiency in medical practice management systems and Microsoft word
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently bends, lifts and/or moves up to 10 pounds with relative ease. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
To apply for this job, please use this link: https://aaci.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=247
AACI is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, religion (includes religious dress and grooming), marital status, domestic partnership status, family care leave status, medical condition as defined under California law, mental or physical disability (including persons infected with the HIV virus or persons with AIDS), genetic information, immigration status, military service or veteran’s status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions (including lactation), or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.