Healthy Living Blog – The Importance of Preventive Health Screenings in Middle Age
Aging comes with an increased risk of developing chronic diseases or other health issues. It’s best to try to lower the risk of these health problems during middle age to stay healthy in older age. Preventive health screenings are an easy way to detect changes in the body that can lead to disease. Knowing this, middle-aged adults can make lifestyle changes to reduce disease symptoms or even stop the disease from forming.
Benefits of preventive health screenings and services
- Higher quality of life. People can live longer with a healthy lifestyle.
- Save money. Preventing disease is better for your wallet in the long-term than paying for disease treatments.
What screenings should I get?
All middle-aged adults can get screened for:
- Blood pressure
- Colorectal cancer, starting at age 50
- Mental illnesses like depression
- Tobacco or nicotine use
- Alcohol and drug abuse
- Vision problems
- Dental problems
Middle-aged women should get screened for:
- Heart disease, starting at age 55
- Cholesterol, starting at age 45
- Breast cancer (mammogram), starting at age 40
- Cervical cancer (Pap test)
Middle-aged men should get screened for:
- Heart disease, starting at age 45
- Cholesterol, starting at age 35
- Prostate cancer, starting at age 40
It’s important to go to your annual check-up because they will recommend these screenings to you. Make an appointment with AACI today if you are due for a check-up!
Have questions or curious to learn more? Please reach out to our Health Center and make an appointment to speak with a doctor. AACI provides services in English, Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, and many other languages. Call (408) 975-2763 to schedule your appointment today!