Health Practice Administrator
January 29, 2019
Position: Practice Administrator
Department: Health Center
Reports to: Medical Director
Job Location: Moorpark Avenue, San Jose
Work Hours: Full-Time, Exempt
AACI, which was founded in 1973, has an amazing opportunity for the above position in the non-profit sector. AACI’s mission is to strengthen the hope and resilience of our community members by improving their health, mental health, and well-being. We do this by providing an array of high quality health and human services, including advocating for their needs. AACI has over 170 employees and an annual budget of over $16M.
Under the supervision of the Medical Director, the Health Practice Administrator oversees the Health Center’s administrative, quality improvement, and compliance activities. Together with Health Center leadership, the Administrator will participate in organization-wide projects that fulfill AACI’s strategic goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Administration. As a member of Health Center leadership, provides administrative direction and coordination in the formulation, interpretation and administration of the Health Center’s policies, procedures and programs. Oversees Health Center administrative operations. Represents the Health Center in meetings, conferences and maintenance activities within health center operations.
- Quality Improvement. Works with Medical Director and QI manager towards improvement efforts through effective staff and provider involvement, project management, and communication. Continuously identifies and implements ways to maximize efficiency, productivity and resource allocation.
- Compliance. Helps to ensure regulatory compliance in Health Center programs. Develops, implements, and documents policies, procedures, and protocols that ensure compliance with all internal policies and external regulations.
- Program Development. Works with the Medical Director and the Nurse Manager to develop strategy and programs that further AACI goals and objectives. Leads strategic planning activities. Develops and maintains relationships within the Health Center, throughout AACI and with outside organizations to coordinate the clinic/practice business, accomplish directives and to facilitate problem resolution. Works with the Nurse Manager and the Medical Director to design, build, and implement effective population management and care coordination practices.
Works in collaboration with the clinic staff and managers to
- Build and accredit Patient Centered Health Home at each AACI medical practice location.
- Design and implement the building blocks that transform AACI medical practices to Patient Centered practices.
- Identify and implement innovative models and best practices that emphasize quality of care, service improvements and cost reduction.
- Builds policies and procedures that define the department standards required by regulatory and funding agencies.
- Establishes and ensures that Health Center budgets and schedules meet AACI’s requirements. Manages operational budget and finances working in co-ordination with Finance department and Medical Director.
- Participates with other managers to build/change processes, implement strategic plans and objectives.
- Works with the QI manager and Medical Director to ensure compliance with mandated standards. Assists with defining and documenting performance and productivity standards, identifying and tracking effectiveness, business processes and operations metrics.
- Active participation in planning, performing and implementing process improvement initiatives.
- Demonstrates awareness of legal issues in all aspects of patient care and takes action to limit or reduce risks.
- Functions with an awareness of safety needs and implements appropriate safety measures.
- Research and resolve patient complaints. Supports and enhances excellent customer service and care. In collaboration with clinic medical director, assures access to care that meets customer and care requirements, and results in efficient patient flow.
- Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to patient and family rights as identified within the institution.
- Ensures that Health Center policies, practices, and procedures comply with administrative, legal and regulatory requirements of AACI’s funder and regulators.
- Ensures operational compliance with applicable accreditation requirements and federal, state and local laws and regulations, including those pertaining to licensure, quality improvement/assurance, fire inspection, emergency preparedness, and other safety measures, working in association with other managers.
- Maintains a state of continuous regulatory readiness.
- Ensures that appropriate plans are in place to accomplish Health Center goals, track operating results and assure the appropriate allocation resources to Health Center.
- Collaborates with agency departments to develop and implement quality and utilization standards across the continuum of care that ensures coordinated treatment plans, patient centered service delivery and cost effective care.
- Designs/builds and implements effective population management and care coordination practices with other Health Center leaders.
- Educates and mentors staff, identifies quality and service targets by working in collaboration with the Nurse Manager. Assures compliance with regulatory and practice standards. Collaborates with Medical Director and staff to establish and achieve professional and technical standards. Assures comprehensive orientation and training of staff. Works with the Nurse Manager to coordinate and assure adequate nursing and medical assistant coverage and staffing to meet patient needs.
- Provides leadership and participates in the evaluation of clinical staff. Consistently demonstrates high ethical standards and personal integrity. Leads by example. Promotes team building, interpersonal communication, problem solving. Demonstrates behaviors that value diversity.
- Assures the best use of staff in the achievement of team-based clinic operations. Promotes staff morale and job satisfaction by utilizing staff to the fullest extent of their license.
- Demonstrates self-responsibility, accountability for practice and professional development.
- Recruits, hires, develops, holds staff accountable to performance expectations and standards, coaches and develops staff, disciplines and terminates staff when necessary. Prepares and presents performance reviews to the Medical Director.
Other duties as assigned.
- Graduate degree in health, administration, or related field.
- Three or more years of experience in a supervisory role in a health care setting.
- Five years of health care experience.
- Five years (minimum) of progressive management experience to include financial, project and staff management.
- Work requires 5 years related administrative or clinic management experience to acquire competence in applying general operational practices, personnel practices, accounting and budgeting principles and coordination of clinic administrative functions.
- Demonstrate strong analytic skills and understanding of QI process, compliance, project management, and practice transformation.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of community health center or comparable outpatient clinic operations
- Demonstrate working knowledge of OSHA and HIPPA guidelines.
- Strong communication and planning skills and the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously. Attention to detail and excellent organization skills needed.
- Proficient in researching, interpreting, and analyzing diverse data and possess the ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Current health certificate (proof of MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis B immunization status or proof of titer status; annual TB testing)
- Applicants must be able to lift 25 pounds due to occasional physical lifting.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently bends, lifts and/or moves up to 10 pounds with relative ease. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
To apply for this job, please use this link: https://aaci.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=249
AACI is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, religion (includes religious dress and grooming), marital status, domestic partnership status, family care leave status, medical condition as defined under California law, mental or physical disability (including persons infected with the HIV virus or persons with AIDS), genetic information, immigration status, military service or veteran’s status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions (including lactation), or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.