- 10 Best in Class winners will win a $500 award & Honorable Mention winners will also be selected.
- All winners will have their entries showcased on the AACI website and have a chance to be featured on NBC Bay Area.
- Students of all backgrounds including Chinese, Filipino, Indian, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and other Asian, Pacific Islander and multiracial ethnicities are invited to submit entries.
- You must be in grade K through 12.
- You must live in Santa Clara, San Francisco, Contra Costa, Marin, Sonoma, Solano, Napa, Alameda, or San Mateo County.
- If you have won in previous years, you cannot submit an entry unless you are in a different grade/entry category now. The grade categories are grades K-2, 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12. The entry categories are Art, Essay and Video.
- Contestants cannot win a prize in more than one category (ex. Art and Essay).
- Children of contest judges or screeners are ineligible to submit entries.
Format: MUST BE 8-1/2” x 11”
Materials and Media: Anything two-dimensional. All paints, crayons, colored pencils, markers, photographs, computer generated graphics etc. are accepted. No sculptures, pop-ups, or framed canvases please. Please do not include writing on your art.
Format: 8-1/2” x 11” paper, 12 pt. font size, single-spaced. Online submissions must be in Word (.doc, .docx) or PDF (.pdf) format.
Length: 500 words MAXIMUM. Hand-written essays accepted. Please print or write on one side only. You do not have to answer every question.
Format: Videos must be 1 minute MAXIMUM. 300MB (size) max. Video files must be in .avi, .mov, or .wmv.
Eligibility: Open ONLY to 6-12th grade contestants.
How to Send Your Entry
Fill out the entry form and mail or deliver entry to:
Growing Up Asian in America
2400 Moorpark Ave. STE 300
San Jose, CA 95128
Videos must be submitted online here.
- My entry answers the theme: My Contribution to America
- I have filled out an entry form (either on paper or online)
- I have included a title for my entry
- You may send one entry in each category (e.g. one piece of writing and one piece of art, one video–if in 6-12th Grade). We will not accept more than one entry per category. Art is judged separately from essays, so please do not submit an entry that combines writing with art. Each entry must have a complete entry form.
- Winning entries are selected based on creativity, originality and skill in the category. Winners are notified by the end of April and must be present at the awards ceremony to be held May 2019. Date and location of the ceremony will be announced separately.
- Submitting an entry to the contest is considered a grant of license to AACI to use the materials in any manner, including the creation of derivative works without payment of a royalty. AACI is a tax-exempt non-profit organization and will only use these materials to further its charitable and educational mission.
Entries must be RECEIVED by Friday, March 15, 2019 or delivered in person by 5 p.m. No entries will be accepted by fax. Click here to see our contest’s frequently asked questions.