Getting the Low Down on Wellness (GLOW) is a project funded by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and the Minority Health Partnership. The objective of this 5-year project is to address Substance Use Abuse, Viral Hepatitis and HIV on APIs (Asian, Pacific, and Islanders) youths and young adults from ages 18 to 24 years old.
In partnership with Asian Health Services, we have moved now onto the phase to start recruiting young adults to be part of this amazing project. We are looking to train youth and to become Youth Lay Health Workers that can present an hour workshop/presentation to peers and friends, classmates. The presentation is about having an honest conversation on how substance use, Hepatitis, and HIV can affect young APIs’ life, and teach them to make better-informed decisions about these health topics.
Each trainer will get a $250 gift card after the completion of the program for their participation as an incentive for their participation and a $10 dollars gift card for the participants who attend the presentation.
Each trainer is required to attend a 1.5 hour training session to learn how to present the GLOW workshop. Additional 3.5 hours will be spent on practice and outreach for participants.
Each trainer is required to present this curriculum to at least 10 other youths (18-24 yr olds) in Santa Clara County.
Age and demographics:
Youths and young adults ages 18 to 24 years.
Preferred Asian, Pacific, and Islanders identified youths and young adults, but not limited to other races/or ethnicity.
Lastly, there is a pre and post-survey that participants are required to complete. This task will be completed in collaboration with one of the Program Specialists from the HOPE Program.
- GLOW Presentation
- GLOW Presentation Script Outline
- GLOW Trainer Registration Link
- Kahoot Game Link
- Kahoot Answers
- Adult Pre-Questionnaire (ALL TRAINERS & PARTICIPANTS must fill this out)
- Adult Post-Questionnaire (TRAINERS ONLY – required before receiving Gift Card)
- Wrap It up: A Comprehensive Guide to Sexcessful Health
- HIV Referral Program Intake
- Substance Use and Consensual Sex Presentation
Fill out the Youth lay Health Worker Interest Form
RSVP to the training with link provided (see announcement above)
The Program Specialist will contact you to confirm your training date.
Attend the 1.5 hour online training.
Fill out Adult pre-questionnaire (all information will be kept private)
Practice your presentation, if you need support with this the Program Specialist will help!
Outreach to your participants- you need to have at least 10 other young adults between the ages of 18-24 attend your workshop.
Have confirmed time and date for your workshop, submit information into My Plan- Glow Project Presentations Excel Sheet.
Once the Program Specialist confirm’s your plan you are ready to give your workshop, go to step 4 to prepare all materials.
Prepare any materials you need for your workshop, make sure you have access to the presentation, materials include:
- GLOW Presentation Outline
- HIV Testing Information (Each person who gets HIV Tested will receive a $25 Gift Card)
- $10 gift cards to give to 10 participants
- Adult pre-questionnaire link
- Sign-up sheet
Now you are ready! Good luck on your workshop!
- Complete the Adult-post questionnaire and submit to the Program Specialist.
- Receive a $200 Gift Card after training is over and receive a $50 Gift card after completing 3-month post survey.
GLOW was created in partnership with Asian Health Services