Behavioral Health Counselor-CalWorks
Job Title: Behavioral Health Counselor
Department: Behavioral Health, CalWORKs
Job Type: FT, Exempt
Reports to: Program Manager, CalWORKs
The CalWorks Behavioral Health Counselor provides outreach and direct behavioral health rehabilitation services including individual/group/family counseling, culturally relevant assessment, evaluation, and case management to agency’s clients who may have both mental health and substance abuse problems.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide direct behavioral health rehabilitation services including individual/group/family counseling, culturally relevant assessment, evaluation, and case management.
- 65% of the counselor’s time will be spent providing direct services.
- Provide services in school, home, clinic and field settings, often independently.
- Coordinate treatments with psychiatrists.
- Participate in individual, weekly, clinical supervision meetings with the Program Manager.
- Participate in weekly case consultations and clinical staff trainings provided by the agency.
- Develop treatment service plans and case management and coordination plans for all clients served
- Provide effective linkages with referral sources, community resources.
- Maintain and keep current clinical charts.
- Document and maintain clinical records per appropriate standards and regulations.
- Prepare other daily and periodic reports that may be required.
- Outreach to the CalWORKs population in order to educate and promote mental health service to them.
- Complete other duties and related projects as assigned
- Master in Social Work, behavioral sciences or related field.
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience.
- Ability to learn and apply clinical skills
- Knowledge of substance abuse and mental health issues.
- Understanding of cultural issues, community resources and family dynamics
- Knowledge of community resources and networks.
- Fluent in English as well as one of the following languages Spanish, Korean, Mandarin, Vietnamese, or Japanese.
- Ability to possess and maintain a valid CA Driver’s License, must have suitable vehicle for agency travel and current automobile insurance.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships
This job requires you to be in the community, in client’s homes, schools, social justice offices and other community partner sites as well as work in one or more of our office locations. Driving is essential to the function of this job. Some weekends and evenings will be required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is required to sit for long periods of time; see to utilize a computer screen; frequently use hands; and reach with hands and arms for activities such as keyboarding and driving.