Behavioral Health Counselor
Job Title: Behavioral Health Counselor, Katie A.
Department: Behavioral Health, Family and Children Program
Location: Moorpark Avenue and Story Road, San Jose
Job Type: FT Non Exempt
Reports to: Katie A. Program Manager.
The Katie A Behavioral Health Counselor provides direct behavioral health rehabilitation services including individual/group/family counseling, culturally relevant assessment, and evaluation and case management to children and families in the foster care system.
The Counselor works within a team and will provide an array of medically necessary interventions for the remediation of behaviors or improvement of symptoms, including psychotherapy, case management, crisis intervention, and linkage to psychiatry or other healthcare needs. Address behaviors that interfere with the stable and permanent family life, and address behaviors that interfere with successful functioning in the community. 65% of the counselor’s time will be spent providing direct billable services
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide direct services in clinic, home, and field settings, often independently. Work closely with the child and/or family at the home to develop functional skills to improve self-care, emotional regulation, or other functional impairments (65% of counselor’s time)
- Provide effective linkages with referral sources, community resources. Support the development, use, and maintenance of support networks for the child and family, Perform case management services such as providing and facilitating referrals to appropriate agencies
- Coordinate services with Juvenile Probation Department, Santa Clara County Department of Family and Children Services, Family Advocates, Social Security Agency, private insurance companies, Victim Protection and other involved agencies and obtain referrals from schools
- Support the child and family to fully participate in the CFT (Client Family Team meetings), and provide education to the child and family on positive methods to manage the child’s mental health disorder or symptoms
- Develop treatment service plans and case management and coordination plans for all clients served
- Document and maintain clinical records per appropriate standards and regulations
- Meet applicable productivity requirements
- Master degree in psychology or related field
- Minimum 1-2 years of directly related experience
- Knowledge of Juvenile Probation Department , Santa Clara County Department of Family and Children Services, Family Advocates, Social Security Agency, private insurance companies, Victim Witness and other involved agencies
- Ability to learn and apply clinical skills within the various Asian/Pacific Islander and Latino cultures of the local community
- Understanding of cultural issues, community resources and family dynamics
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships
- English Language proficiency
- Fluent in Spanish or Vietnamese highly desired
- Ability to possess and maintain a valid CA Driver’s License, must have suitable vehicle for agency travel and current automobile insurance.
This job requires you to be in the community, in client’s homes, schools, social justice offices and other community partner sites. Driving is essential to the function of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is required to sit for long periods of time; see to utilize a computer screen; frequently use hands; and reach with hands and arms for activities such as keyboarding.