Fostering engagement throughout the Asian community
AACI believes that building a strong sense of community is an important step in accomplishing our mission. Our community programs help foster this value. Our youth programs offer young people the tools needed to thrive and become active community members. Our senior programs allow our participants to remain independent and active in their community.
Community at AACI
Our Youth Development Services provides a continuum of care and nurturing relationships to equip young people with critical life skills. The Resilient Youth Striving for Excellence (RYSE) Afterschool Program and Peer Leadership Uniting Students (PLUS) Program provide services for at-risk and high-risk east San Jose youth impacted by substance abuse and gang activity. RYSE and Project PLUS increase developmental assets and life skills by emphasizing positive adult role models and peer influence, self-confidence, communication, healthy decision-making and leadership.
RYSE is a year round afterschool program that provides recreational activities, development of leadership and social skills, homework assistance and a multicultural curriculum taught through arts, crafts, workshops, field trips and guest speakers. The RYSE Program is offered to residents of the El Rancho Verde Apartment Complex in east San Jose.
Project PLUS is a 14-week long program that consists of group life skills sessions, one-on-one mentoring, a self-improvement project and a field trip. All services are provided on-site at school campuses (middle and high schools) during school hours.
Did You Know?
- Last year, AACI served 257 youth through the RYSE and PLUS Programs.
- 83% of youth stated that they increased their participation in positive activities as a result of AACI Youth Development Services.
Contact Joma Briones at email@example.com.
Youth Development Services
300A Checkers Drive
San Jose, CA 95133
AACI provides services for Santa Clara County’s Asian seniors who are often isolated due to linguistic, financial, cultural and social barriers. The Senior Wellness Program is designed to foster physical fitness, independence and social interaction. AACI offers a broad range of culturally sensitive and linguistically competent services that empower participants with the skills and resources to overcome language barriers, adjust to a new culture, cope with intergenerational changes, establish a social support network and increase their awareness and knowledge of community resources.
- English Classes: AACI helps seniors develop English skills in order to better navigate their daily lives.
- Nutritious Hot Lunches: AACI provides fresh, hot nutritious meals four days a week, Tuesday through Friday at the Senior Center.
- Information/Referral: AACI provides external and internal referrals to housing, financial/public assistance, medical care and immigration services, among others.
- Case Management: AACI helps seniors navigate U.S. social services and health systems, avoid financial emergencies and access appropriate housing.
- Counseling: AACI counsels seniors to help them adjust to U.S. culture and negotiate intergenerational conflicts.
- Physical Activity Classes: AACI offers senior Ballroom classes, plus Karaoke and Tai-Chi classes, to promote physical well-being.
- Health Education Workshops: AACI provides healthy living information, including nutrition and chronic disease management.
- Transportation: AACI helps seniors access public transportation.
- Translation/Interpretation Services: AACI assists with the translation of documents and provides interpretation during medical and social service-related appointments through a sliding scale fee.
- Special Events: AACI organizes senior-friendly holiday celebrations and bingo birthday parties, cultural events, fundraisers and field trips.
Did You Know?
- The program provided 6,698 hot, nutritious lunches to seniors in 2013-2014.
- The program served over 1,000 members and walk-in seniors last year.
For more information call (408) 975-2730 or contact Pinki Fung, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hours of operation
Monday – Friday 8:30 A.M. to 2:30 P.M.