August 30, 2017
Position: Accounting Manager
Reports to: Controller
Job Location: Moorpark Avenue, San Jose
Work Hours: Full-Time, Exempt
Asian Americans for Community Involvement (AACI) which was founded in 1973 has an amazing opportunity for the above position in the non-profit sector. AACI’s mission is to improve the health, mental health, and well-being of individuals, families and the Asian community. We do this by providing an array of high quality health and human services, sharing expertise about the Asian community’s needs and best services delivery practices, and providing Asian leadership in advocating on key health and human services issues. AACI has over 170 employees and an annual budget of over $16M.
The Accounting Manager oversees the timely and accurate disbursement of fund in compliance with company policies and procedures. This position is also responsible for recording financial transactions, preparing and reviewing account analyses and reserves, and coordinating the research and resolution of company-wide financial statement variances as well as technical accounting issues to ensure accurate presentation of the financial statements. The Accounting Manager will also be expected to optimize the general ledger and other financial statements while assisting in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual reports. The Accounting Manager provides day-to-day oversight for the Finance team. This position reports to the Controller.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees accounts payable, Payroll, and employee reimbursements; reconciles AP sub ledger to GL ledger.
- Monitor and retain documentation for each semi-monthly payroll in accordance with federal and state guidelines.
- Review and approve reconciliations of payroll related balance sheets and related journal entries.
- Meet all government reporting and payment requirements for payroll taxes, withholding and employer contributions.
- Continuously identify and develop solutions for process efficiency improvements.
- Select, develop, and evaluate personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
- Ensure accurate payroll records by confirming demographic and HR changes including garnishments, salary increases, etc. are processing properly.
- Investigate and correct payroll discrepancies with a sense of urgency.
- Communicate critical issues with appropriate parties and expedite resolutions in timely manner.
- Performs monthly bank reconciliations for all organization accounts. Resolves all reconciling items.
- Prepares investment account analysis and reconciliations.
- Executes month-end closing schedule. Prepares journal entries. Performs month-end account analysis, as requested. Integrates accounting software, tracking the budget and actual results achieved, so as to provide timely financial reports.
- Point person for audit requests by governmental funding agencies, in terms of supplying the necessary information and works closely with auditors on completion of the annual agency-wide audit. Prepares supporting schedules as necessary.
- Under the supervision of the Controller, ensures compliance with fiscal and programmatic reporting of grants and contracts.
- Works with management and development department to prepare all materials for new and renewed grants and contracts. Prepares reporting documents to funders, ensuring the timely submission of all vouchers and related compliance reports. Provides detailed reporting of outstanding government contract receivables, on a contract level .
- Other Duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration preferred.
- Must have working knowledge of payroll and business solution software platforms especially ADP Workforce Now.
- Experience with Financial Edge accounting software a strong plus.
- Experienced with payroll for a medium sized company with more than 100 employees.
- Experience with fund accounting highly preferred; experience with non-profit cost principles desireable.
- 2-3 years minimum experience working with a complex automated payroll accounting system.
- 2-3 years minimum supervisory/management experience required.
- Strong knowledge of payroll protocols, particularly with IRS regulations, Federal, State, and local tax and labor laws.
- Excellent customer service skills, especially when dealing with employees on sensitive payroll issues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and organizational skills, including being professional and courteous in all communications.
- Must maintain highest level of confidentiality and protection of all payroll and employee related data/information. Requires a strong attention to detail, along with a passion and respect for accuracy and timeliness.
- Demonstrated interest in the mission and values of AACI.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently bends, lifts and/or moves up to 10 pounds with relative ease. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
To apply for this job, please use this link:
AACI is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.